Wednesday 12 November 2014

Steamed moist chocolate cake

This has been in my to-do list for some time. Since I bought a new heart shape mould which was on sale at Ikea and I wanted to test out this mould so I made this cake today.
I got this from  Vivian Pang's blog with beautiful pictures of the cake which attracted me.
Since my family love chocolate, I decided to give it a try. It is a very simple recipe except that you need some time on steaming. Recipe as follows with a bit of tweaking on the sugar ( reduction) and type of flour ( I used cake flour).
 
Recipe for Steamed Moist Chocolate Cake
 
Ingredients 
For the Cake
180g butter
60g caster + 60g brown sugar (original recipe calls for 200g caster sugar)
200g full cream evaporated milk
2 eggs, slightly beaten with fork
100g cake flour (original recipe uses plain flour)
50g cocoa powder (I used Hershey's)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp vanilla extract or 1 tsp vanilla essence
2 tbsp of rum (optional, I forgot to add)
 
For Chocolate Fudge Topping
200g condense milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract or 1 tsp vanilla essence
2 tbsp corn oil
20g cocoa powder, sifted
a pinch of salt
 
Method (for the cake)
1. Combine sugar, evaporated milk, vanilla extract / essence and butter in a saucepan.
2. Stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved and butter is melted, turn off the heat and keep warm
3. Add the beaten eggs into the slightly warm evaporated milk mixture and stir to mix well
4. Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda into a large mixing bowl, then pour the eggs mixture over the flour and stir till well mix (use balloon whisk) (Cake batter should be runny). Add in rum if desired and mix well.
5. Heat up the steamer
6. Lined and greased an 8 or 9 inch baking pan.
7. Pour the batter into the lined pan and place the pan into the steamer and cover the top of the pan loosely with a piece of aluminium foil
 
Method (for Choc Fudge)
1. Combine the sifted cocoa powder, condense milk and oil in a saucepan
2. Stir over low heat with balloon whisk till thicken
3. Add in salt and vanilla extract or essence
4. Cool the chocolate fudge a little before spreading on the cake.
5. Refrigerate before serve it
 
Notes:
1. I did not line the cake pan, but I greased the pan with butter (although I use a non-stick silicone mould)
2. Boil a kettle of water as stand-by while steaming the cake. This is to top up the water in the steamer if it dries up. (Optional, as contingency)

No comments:

Post a Comment