Sunday 17 August 2014

Mooncake festival around the corner

Last year, ambitiously I baked a few types of mooncake despite being my first attempt into it.
Traditional and spiral and dolly ones. Of course, they are in the smallest batch that I could adjust since my family are not typical fans of mooncake. The recipes were from Christine's, bakingpapa and happy home baking respectively.
Herewith are some photos taken last year. For those who are interested in these mooncakes, you may find them separately from this site.
This year, I am trying out a new recipe shared by Sonia of Nasi lemak lover....Kluang mooncake. I did a mini version of it. Instead of having 2 salted egg yolks in a large mooncake, I apportioned  the recipe into half size. Instead of making 4 large ones, I made 8 mini ones with single salted egg yolk in each of the mini 'rugby' shaped mooncakes. 
The pastry was similar to the pineapple tarts. You need not use the mooncake moulds. Escape route of having to wash the moulds, haha....Lazy me....
Anyway, my family prefers this to the traditional ones. They are delicious and the crust was really melt-in-mouth. No regrets.

 
Recipe for Kluang Mooncake 
(Original recipe from Nasilemaklover)
 
Modified to makes 8 mini ones

175g butter, room temp
50g condensed milk or sweetened creamer
255g plain flour ( I used 55g cake flour +200g plain flour )
1 egg yolk


400g white lotus paste or your choice of paste
8 salted egg yolks (brush with rice wine, steam for 5 mins)

Egg wash- 1 egg yolk +1tsp milk or water

Method

1. Cream butter and condensed milk till light
2. Add in egg yolk, and beat until combine.
3. Mix in flour, mix till it forms a soft and non-sticky dough.
4. Wrap 1 salted egg yolk with lotus paste (50g each) and shape like a rugby ball.
5. Then wrap the lotus paste with pastry (60g each) and also shape like a rugby ball. Place on a lined baking tray. Note: my total dough weight is 485g
6. Use a fork to draw few lines on the surface of mooncake. Egg wash the mooncake.
7. Bake at a pre-heated oven at 170C( fan forced) for 25-30mins. My oven was set at 180 deg C, and baked for 28 minutes
8. Remove from oven and let it cool on rack.  Store in air-tight container.  Best eaten within 2-3 days.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment