Wednesday 10 September 2014

Flower or Fan...Lotus Paste Puff Pastry(蓮蓉酥)

Today, I did a small batch of lotus paste puff pastry, some called it fan while others called it flower design. Anyway, they are delicious!
I did these last year using red bean as filling. Since I did not buy any red bean paste, I substituted with lotus paste which is equally tasty. The puff pastry that I did last year used butter as I did not have shortening in hand.
This year, I followed the recipe ardently that uses shortening.
Comparatively, the puff seems puffier and crispier to the ones that used butter.
This recipe was extracted from my kitchen flavours. She has detailed the making of the flower shape. In her notes, she added additional flour as her dough was wet. I did not as my dough was manageable.
I enclosed photos of last year with red bean filling and this year with lotus paste filling.

Last year...
This year....

 
Recipe -  Fan Pastry
Adapted from kitchen flavour
http://mycookinggallery.blogspot.com/2012/02/fan-pastry.html

 Ingredients
Water Dough
120gm flour
1/4 teaspoon maltose (I use golden syrup)
20gm sugar
35gm shortening
65gm water


Oil Dough
100gm flour
60gm shortening


Filling
400gm red bean paste


Method :
Water Dough : Mix all the ingredients to form a smooth dough. Divide it into 16 parts of 15gm each.
Oil Dough : Mix all the ingredients to form a smooth paste. Divide it into 16 parts of 10gm each.
Filling : Divide the red bean paste into 16 parts of 25gm each.

Wrap the oil dough with water dough.
Roll out the dough into thin sheet. Then roll it up like Swiss Roll. Repeat this step one more time. Let it rest for 10 minutes.
Flatten the above dough and wrap the filling in.
Roll out the dough flat using a rolling pin. Along the round edge cut the pastry into 8 equal portions about 2.5cm thick.
Twist the edges into petal shapes. Egg wash twice and stick some black sesame seeds at the centre.
Bake at 200C for 20-25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment